We also assist companies in taking advantage of Louisiana’s innovate and creative economic development and tax incentives, including: the Manufacturing Machinery & Equipment Sales Tax Exclusion (La. R.S. 47:301); Industrial Tax Exemptions (La. Const. art. VII, § 21); the Enterprise Zone Program (La. R.S. 47:1781 et seq.); the Quality Jobs Act Program (La. R.S. 51:2451 et seq.); the Tax Equalization Program (La. R.S. 47:3201 et seq.); the Industry Assistance Program (La. R.S. 47:4301 et seq.); Inventory Tax Credits (La. R.S. 47:6006); the Corporate Franchise Tax on Debt (La. R.S. 47:601 et seq.); Pollution Control Sales Tax Exclusions (La. R.S. 47:301); and Recycling Tax Credits (La. R.S. 47:6005).
Energy, Refining, Petrochemicals, LNG, Pipelines:
- Representation of a national energy provider in the development of multibillion dollar expert terminal in Cameron, Parish, Louisiana
- Representation related to the development of a new liquefied natural gas terminal in Calcasieu, Parish, Louisiana
- Representation of two separate pet-coke gasification projects (one for chemical production and one for syngas production) with respect to environmental permitting, CO2 marketing for EOR, pipeline regulatory, environmental impact analysis, and assistance with other aspects of project financing and development.
- Project local counsel for a $10 billion Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) export terminal in Cameron Parish, Louisiana. The facility will process 1.7 billion cubic feet per day. Kean Miller represented the owner in the transaction as Louisiana real estate counsel, Louisiana energy regulatory counsel, and Louisiana and federal environmental counsel
- Successfully obtained Title V, PSD, and LPDES permits for a $4 billion ethylene cracking and derivatives complex and an adjacent gas-to liquids complex in Calcasieu Parish. Kean Miller represented the owner as Louisiana real estate counsel, Louisiana and federal environmental counsel, Louisiana tax and environmental incentives counsel, Louisiana energy regulatory counsel, and Louisiana construction law counsel. Kean Miller acted as Louisiana counsel representing the client in connection with financing of the ethylene/derivatives complex.
- Project counsel to a Fortune 500 company in connection with cooperative endeavor agreements with the State of Louisiana for the development of a new facility in Lake Charles, Louisiana that will manufacture and distribute industrial parts for the nuclear energy industry
- Project counsel to a major chemical company in connection with the conversion of a facility to mercury-free chlor-alkali process in St. Gabriel, Louisiana. Our Economic Development team negotiated pollution control sales tax relief for major process changes.
- Representation of a biofuels company with regard to economic development incentives, industrial real estate acquisitions, corporate documentation, environmental permitting, and governmental agency relations. The new facility will be located in Louisiana. The client is a diversified biofuels technology company that harnesses the power of innovation, science and technology to enhance the world’s energy sustainability.
- Representation of the United States’ leading operator of rice hull combustion power plants, which utilizes an environmentally-friendly biomass waste product, rice hulls, to produce energy
- Representation of an ethanol development company pursuing the construction of over a 100 MMGPY facility in Louisiana in the areas of energy and contract negotiation
- Representation of an international company in connection with the development of a new facility located in Red River, Parish. The company develops and commercializes innovative technologies to sustain the viability of coal as a critical national resource. They provide cost-effective products to reduce emissions, increase efficiency and improve the competitive position of their customers.
- Representation of a Louisiana-based "green fuel" concern in connection with the development of an ethanol production facility in Louisiana that will produce over 100 million gallons of ethanol per year. The company produces ethanol from sugar cane and sweet sorghum crops and has three facilities in Louisiana located in Lacasinne, New Iberia, and St. James, Louisiana.
- Lobbying and active involvement in drafting, modifications, and re-enactments of the Louisiana Motion Picture Incentive Act
- Representation of a movie and television association as legislative counsel. The association serves as the voice and advocate of the Louisiana motion, television, and video industry
- Representation of a Louisiana motion picture industry concern as legislative/governmental counsel and tax incentives consultant. The company is the only computer-controlled precision wave-making facility designed for and dedicated to the making of motion pictures in the United States and is located in Shreveport, LA.
- Lobbied and assisted with the passage of legislation enacting the Louisiana Digital Media Act designed to encourage development in Louisiana of a strong capital base for the production of digital interactive media
- Representation of a major automobile manufacturer in connection with Louisiana tax incentives and other Louisiana tax issues
- Representation of the economic development arm of a major Louisiana city in connection with corporation income and franchise tax changes to stimulate the development of corporate headquarters in Louisiana
- Representation of a global soft drink bottling company in connection with construction of its new Baton Rouge bottling and distribution facility and sale of its former bottling facility
- Representation of steel manufacturing facility in pursuing legislation which continued the company’s sales/use tax exemption for purchases of utilities. The legislation unanimously passed both the House and Senate during the 2004 Special Session in which the Governor was pursuing permanency for the taxes on business utilities.
- Negotiated complex Quality Jobs Act issues with the Louisiana Department of Revenue for a major auto manufacturer
- Successfully worked to expedite the Manufacturing Machinery & Equipment Sales Tax Exclusion for a global auto manufacturer
- Drafted legislation and lobbied for changes to the Tax Equalization Program to provide for additional renewals