Kean Miller LLP has represented gaming companies in Louisiana since the advent of the industry. Our Gaming Industry Team has worked with large, national gaming industry corporations, smaller regional Louisiana casinos, and Indian-owned casinos. Our experience includes insurance coverage, labor and employment matters, licensing, construction law, compliance and gaming regulation, litigation, personal injury, real estate development, and state and local tax matters.
- Local counsel to a national gaming company with regard to complex insurance loss claims and litigation involving hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Representation of a Lake Charles casino in EEOC matters and employment advice.
- Representation of an area gaming company with respect to all facets of state and federal employment law and with respect to the company's employee manual.
- Representation of a national gaming company as local counsel in negotiations to obtain a gaming license in Louisiana.
- Representation of major gaming industry client with regard to property and license issues following hurricane Rita.
- Representation of gaming clients in compliance, licensure and gaming regulatory matters.
- Representation of a major gaming company in numerous personal injury cases arising from alleged incidents at its New Orleans casino, including "slip and falls" as well as gaming disputes and other issues.
- Representation of a national gaming corporation against the Louisiana Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association in litigation regarding fees and purses.
- Representation of national gaming corporations in federal and state courts regarding gaming proceeds allocation disputes under state laws.
- Representation of a major gaming industry client in a case involving a casino patron who claimed she was injured by a waitress carrying hot beverages.
- Representation of a casino in a one-week federal jury trial brought by a patron who claimed she was injured by a casino employee.
- Representation of a casino in a claim of wrongful inducement to gamble by a compulsive gaming addict.
- Successfully defeated claims of RICO and antitrust violations by a casino attempting to prevent a competitor from obtaining a gaming license. The claims were argued before and affirmed by the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representation of child care facilities within several casinos on claims of negligent child injury.
- Representation of a major gaming industry client in connection with real estate matters related to potential sites for a new facility. We also represented the company in a variety of ownership, zoning and public records research regarding potential sites.
- Representation of a leading gaming company in connection with bankruptcy workout matters and with regard to various lease, real estate and contract matters.
- Representation of Louisiana Downs in major sales tax litigation related to the application of sales tax relief provisions for racetracks to the potion of the facility that contains slot machines.
- Representation of a major gaming industry client in a hotel tax refund case involving taxes due on complimentary hotel rooms.
- Representation of a major gaming client in connection with a major sales tax case related to the taxation of wide area progressive slot machines supplied, maintained, and monitored off-site by a vendor.
- Representation of a national gaming company in connection with a Louisiana income tax case for an affiliate that owns rights to trade names and logos.
- Representation of a construction and supply company with regard to applicable laws and regulations governing the permitting of suppliers of non-gaming goods to a Louisiana casino.
- Obtained Non-Gaming Vendor Permit and Renewal Permit for national telecommunications company to provide non-gaming services to casinos in Louisiana.