Consumer Credit Litigation
Kean Miller LLP provides innovative advice and counsel to clients concerning a multitude of consumer credit issues. Our team has experience litigating issues arising under both the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). We diligently advocate solutions that enable our clients to get out of the courtroom and back to business.
Our team has experience in litigating claims arising from identity theft initiated in multiple ways including identities compromised by friends, family, entities from whom credit, employment, insurance, and medical treatment were sought. We have successfully defended entities sued after the theft was discovered via credit reporting problems stemming from fraudulent credit applications and purchases.
- Representation of a national credit reporting agency in litigation where alleged improper reporting of credit items caused claimed financial damages to consumers.
- Representation of a national credit reporting agency in litigation in which plaintiffs claimed that fraudulent activity, identity theft, incorrect reporting of credit history, and incorrect reporting of public records caused damages.
- Representation of finance companies in defending consumer disclosure and fraud claims.
- Representation of national credit reporting agency in litigation where improper reporting of credit items allegedly caused financial damages to consumers.
- Representation of a mortgage company in defending alleged claims involving breach of contract, credit insurance.
- Representation of lenders in hurricane related claims involving National Flood Insurance Protection, forced placed insurance, and property/casualty claims.
- Representation of a national credit reporting agency in litigation in which plaintiffs alleged a variety of economic damages including the inability to obtain a loan, paying higher interest rates on loans, and personal injuries such as emotional distress and dissolution of marriage due to claimed inaccurate credit reporting.
- Representation of a national credit reporting agency in a class action by consumers alleging improper release of credit file information to insurers and target marketers.
- Representation of a national credit reporting agency in an attempted class action where debtors were seeking damages for alleged improper procedures in debt collection matters.
- Representation of creditors in defending Fair Debt Collection Practices Act claims.