Bankruptcy and Business Reorganization
Kean Miller LLP brings an array of expertise to Louisiana and Texas bankruptcy representation. Our lawyers have acted as counsel to debtors-in-possession, bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, liquidating agents, lenders, asset purchasers, and a variety of other clients in reorganization and liquidation proceedings throughout Louisiana. This experience allows us to enter each engagement with a thorough understanding of the interests, strengths, and weaknesses of each constituency. While our reorganization practice is located in Louisiana and Texas, our practice extends nationwide.
- Representation of numerous local, regional and national financial institutions and banks in a wide variety of multi-million dollar workouts dealing with commercial real estate, oil and gas, healthcare, manufacturing, wholesale, and retail operations. Many were successfully concluded prior to a bankruptcy being involved and many involved complex litigation and bankruptcy issues.
- Representation of energy company clients to reduce their exposure to legacy claims through corporate reorganizations, liquidations, and dissolutions.
- Representation of major railway concerns in the Cajun Electric bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of a national bank in the $200 million American Iron Reduction foreclosure and related litigation.
- Representation of a global computing and leasing company in a wide variety of bankruptcy and workout proceedings.
- Representation of a canadian power generation firm in the Babcock and Wilcox bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of local, regional and national banks in various large commercial workout, litigation and bankruptcy cases.
- Representation of clients in several of the largest local bankruptcy cases such as MMR and United Companies. Our financial services team has been involved in the Orion Refinery case, Sun Drilling, Watson Energy and other cases in New Orleans.
- Primary bankruptcy counsel to lenders and creditors in the $100 million restructuring of a major oil company.
- Representation of local, regional, and national banks and financial institutions in a wide variety of litigation in State and Federal Courts.
- Representation of banks and banking officers in lender liability claims, and in the defense of fraud and defalcation claims.
- Representation of financial institutions in foreclosures on residential and commercial real estate – from single family dwellings to large industrial facilities.
- Representation of clients in complex commercial workouts and loan restructurings.
- Representation of banking clients in dealing with accounts, compliance, and collateral activities.
- Representation of defendants in preference litigation and other bankruptcy-related claims
- Special counsel to Debtors and Trustees in connection with recovering assets for an estate or defending against litigation initiated by creditors.